Monday, June 1, 2009

Hypochondriac


Today marks five months that my sweet, baby Cruz has been on this earth! I cannot believe how fast time has flown by! Although I've been a mom now for almost 2 years, I still consider myself a "newbie." Today just reinforces that thought. One of Cruz's eyes has been irritated and red for the past two days and I noticed that Zane had a mark of some type on his forearm after the air show yesterday. Not too concerned until this morning, when I I decided (self-diagnosed with the doctor's degree that I think I have) that Cruz has pink eye and is going to lose his eyesight and that Zane has been bitten by a deadly spider and will lose his arm or poison will get into his bloodstream if I don't rush them to the doctor! Mind you, it's Sunday, but our wonderful pediatrician has weekend hours, so I called and gave the whole speech that goes something like this: "I know this sounds silly and I'm probably just being a hypochondriac, but I'm a first-time mom and I'm not sure if this can wait...." BLAH BLAH BLAH! I have come to realize that the phone call is really for my own reassurance that everything is going to be fine, but the nurse can't ever tell me anything, except bring 'em in! I mean can't she just give me counsel over the phone, risking liability without even seeing their life-threatening illnesses?!?! So, I take them in, thinking the worst and 10 minutes after we arrived, I was wheeling that dang double stroller back out to the car with my pink checkout sheet in hand that read: Bug bite-keep clean, observation and Eye mild irritation-warm, wet cloth, observation...(They didn't even charge me for the visit...) Yeah, feeling pret-ty stu-pid! Yet again, I bet I got a few eye-rolls and snickers as I left the office. Any other hypochondriacs out there? Please share!

1 comment:

  1. Don't sweat it, Torri. Reassuring moms and dads is just part of the territory for nurses and doctors alike. It wasn't the first time that they answered questions for a concerned Mommy, nor will it be their last. :)

    ReplyDelete