Thursday, June 11, 2009

Zane is Two






Well, it's official..my first born little baby is NOT a baby anymore. He is quite the toddler, but I wouldn't go as far to say he's the "terrible" two (yet!). Sean finally came home from training in Vegas just in time for the festivities. The birthday theme was a no-brainer due to Zane's obsession of bananas; plus we call him our little monkey! I am not what I would call the domestic type, but becoming a mom, you feel as though you have to compete with all those truly domesticated moms out there that are always baking something neat or planning the best "get-togethers." Sooooo, I decided that I would make the "Monkey" cake for the party. Me..the "I'd rather do ten loads of laundry than cook" girl is going to bake the cake. My Type A personality doesn't allow me to do things with mediocracy, so a few trips to Michael's was needed to educate myself. I am always in awe of those cakes I see other moms manage to whip out; how hard can it be, right? After purchasing the entire aisle of the baking section in Michael's, I was ready for the "trial-run" cake. Yes, I had to make it twice in case it was a total failure and I had to resort to plan B. Plan B was ordering a cake from the old reliable, Wal-Mart! I must say, after 6 hours of mixing, baking, cooling, coloring icing and learning to use the icing decorating tips, the Monkey Cake was complete! My kitchen was a disaster area, but I thought the cake looked pretty good and tasted yummy! I didn't find out until too late that you can freeze your cakes until party time..the children at Playgroup got to sample the "trial-run" cake. It seems like a lot of work for such a small thing, but looking back, I'm glad I made it twice because the second time was much quicker and I had more confidence. I have to admit, I actually enjoyed myself once it was all said and done. Zane had a blast at the party despite the cold, rainy weather. Sean and I were stressed to the max trying to make things run smoothly, but a friend of ours reminded me later: "Don't you know that birthday parties are always stressful for the parents? What matters is that your child had fun." She was so right! 

4 comments:

  1. The cake is absolutely adorable. I actually figured (before I finished reading the blog) that you must have resorted to buying it since it looks so perfect!!! Not that I would expect any less from you :) I miss you guys and wish I could meet your little men in person. They are just the cutest little boys I have ever seen!!! Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Noelle! We miss you too! It's great that we are able to keep in touch..Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake looks awesome! The party looks like it was fun, we are sad we missed out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, I forgot I was signed into Rich's account, that last comment was from Juli.

    ReplyDelete