Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Mommy vs. The Beast


I have a love/hate relationship with my ever-so-lovely Graco Quattro Tour Duo Stroller; otherwise known as "The Beast!" I don't have to use it too often unless I need to corral both boys in a central location to prevent any chance of escaping. For the past 3 weeks, this has been more necessary since Sean's away. Grocery shopping  with The Beast is horrific! Well, grocery shopping with children in any shape or form is NOT FUN! Since it's impossible to fit both boys in the cart along with groceries, I just use the stroller's rather large basket to pile in as much as possible. Today, it was pouring down rain and pretty chilly out, so I left Cruz in the car seat carrier attached to the stroller and put Zane in the front seat. We spent all morning at play group, so they were pretty tired, but I had to get a few items. Seems like as soon as we got through the first aisle, Zane was out cold! I tried to wake him several times, but that was no use. This would've been great for most instances...kids sleeping while Mom shops, but the front seat of The Beast sits completely upright when the car seat carrier is behind it. Poor Zane!! Head flopping all over the place, unable to even lean to the side. I tried to stuff a blanket beside him, but that only made his head lean forward even more. As I searched for items on the shelves, I would just hold his head in my hands all the while getting remarks from those passing by. I so wish I would've had my phone with me to snap a picture. All I can say is thank goodness for the harness straps! Needless to say, I paid for bananas, milk and a pack of diapers while holding Zane in my arms, trying to control The Beast along side. Luckily, Cruz did manage to be a good baby for this trip. Arms exhausted, soaking wet and frustrated that I didn't get the groceries needed, I piled Zane, Cruz and The Beast back into the 4Runner. As I sat down, seat belt on, started the car, I looked back in the rearview mirror only to discover Zane wide awake asking for a snack. Deep breathe and a smile, "You can have a banana when we get home, honey!" 

2 comments:

  1. Oh to hear someone else tell the same stories that I tell. I feel your pain and exhaustion! Hope the rest of the week goes well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that's tough...I am enjoying your blog! Love, love, love hearing stories from other moms! Is there a Lowes Foods near you? That's where I shop, and I shop online, schedule a pick up time, pull up and they bring my groceries to my car and I'm on my way. Something to think about...

    ReplyDelete